Sunday, March 6, 2011

First Posting

Hello and welcome to the first posting for the AmmoBlog!

If the title wasn't informative enough, this blog is all about the technology of making ammunition. While I can't promise daily updates I will do my best to answer questions and post updates whenever something new comes to me.

A little bit about me: My name is Drew, I currently live in Southern California near Los Angeles, I have been reloading my own ammunition for 20+ years, in the last 5 years I have made several major adjustments to my chosen career path, and now work full time for a major commercial loader. Because this blog is personal, I will not divulge the name of my employer, nor will I use this blog as a place to post information proprietary to my employer including, but not limited to load data, bullet selection, or anything else that could either get me fired, or compromise the financial future of my employer.

With all that said, more about me. I am a classically trained manual machinist, proficient with lathes, mills, precision grinders, shapers, saws, and welders (mig, stick, tig, gas). I have both designed and made reloading dies, case check gauges, swage dies, rebuilt camdex, dillon, rcbs, ammoload, hornady, lee, CH4D, and pacific reloading presses, and worked with waterbury farrel cold headers, and bliss flywheel presses.

Now, more about the blog. This blog is not really about me, it's about what I do, and the reason I'm putting it out there is so people can learn about the trade and apply it either to reloading at home, or if they are another manufacturer hopefully produce ammo that's as good as mine. : )

While this blog is mostly geared towards people new to reloading, loading, or tool making, I will constantly be making references to more advanced topics, because if you are only being exposed to the same basic concepts you will never learn. For these reasons, I would highly recommend several books, you may use them as reference, or you may read through the completely. It's up to you.

Open source book (from google books):
Cartridge Manufacture: By DT Hamilton


One you're going to have to find (out of print):
Ammunition Making by George Frost


I would like to thank you for reading the blog, and my first post. Since it's the weekend I will probably post a few things I've been meaning to put up somewhere for a while. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment