Friday, March 18, 2011

Fun Stuff - MuzzleBrake

Felt the need to get away from the computer, get out in the shop and make something really quick that would be fun and enjoyable. So I made a muzzle brake for my .308 Winchester rifle (Savage 10FP-LE). I had the barrel threaded last year as a gunsmith friend of mine needed some cash, so rather than just loan him money he would have to pay back, I just gave him some work.

I am not a great photographer. But here it is:


Specs: Fits 5/8-24TPI threaded barrel, drilled 1" deep, threads relieved on the back (no crush washer or spacers), two baffles for directing gas away from bullet flight. Made of 304 Free Machining Stainless Steel. The bullet path hole is 5/16", was first drilled one size smaller, and then finish reamed with a .3125" reamer with the back gear engaged and lots of oil. Threaded section was first bored with a carbide boring bar, and then tapped with a 5/8-24" tap so there should be no disparity of alignment between the threads and the bore.

If anyone is interested in drawings wanting to make their own, speak up and I'll post them or e-mail.

I should get a chance to take it out to the range tomorrow, and I'll provide a range report.

No comments:

Post a Comment